I paused for a long moment, and then made the mistake of meeting his gaze.
我停顿了很长时间,然后错误的去对视了他的凝视
我停顿了许久,然后犯了一个错误:对上了他凝视着的双眸。
His dark gold eyes confused me, and I answered without thinking.
他的深金色的眼睛让我困惑,然后没有思考的就回答了他。
他黑金色的眸子让我迷乱,于是想都不想就回答了。
"My mother got remarried," I said.
我母亲再婚了,我说道。
"That doesn‘t sound so complex," he disagreed, but he was suddenly sympathetic.
这听起来不复杂,他不同意,但是他突然变的有同情心了一些。
"When did that happen?""Last September." My voice sounded sad, even to me.
什么时候的事情?上个九月。我的声音听起来对于我来说很伤心。
“去年九月。”我的声音听起来有些感伤,至少对我来说。
"And you don‘t like him," Edward surmised, his tone still kind.
“你不喜欢他”爱德华猜测道,他的语气仍然很友善。
“但是,你不喜欢她的新丈夫。”爱德华推测着,声音依然很亲切。
"No, Phil is fine. Too young, maybe, but nice enough."
不喜欢,菲尔还好,太年轻了,可能,但是足够好了。
"Why didn‘t you stay with them?"I couldn‘t fathom his interest, but he continued to stare at me with penetrating eyes, as if my dull life‘s story was somehow vitally important.
“为什么你不和他们在一起”我不能看出他的兴趣,但是他继续盯着我用着期待的眼神,就像我迟钝的生活故事从某种程度上讲很重要。
我想不出他在对什么感兴趣,但他继续用那双富有穿透力的眼睛盯着我看,就好像我乏味的生活是一个异常精彩的传奇。
"Phil travels a lot. He plays ball for a living." I half-smiled.
“菲尔经常出差,他是个职业球员。”我勉强笑道。
"Have I heard of him?" he asked, smiling in response.
我曾经听过他吗?他问道,笑着回应道。
"Probably not. He doesn‘t play well. Strictly minor league. He moves around a lot."
可能没有。他玩的不好。对于小联盟来说,他差很多。
应该没有。他打得不太好,严格地说还在小联盟里。他总在东奔西跑。”
"And your mother sent you here so that she could travel with him."
你的母亲送你来这里,为的是她能和他一起旅游
“所以你母亲让你到这儿来,好让她能跟着他一起走四方。”
He said it as an assumption again, not a question.
他又一次就像说陈述句一样,没有疑问。
他说这句话的语气更像是在做推论,而不是提问。