The next day, I was surprised that Jessica wasn‘t her usual gushing self in Trig and Spanish.
第二天,我很惊讶Jessica没有在Trig和Spanish课上自言自己滔滔不绝了。
第二天的三角函数课和西班牙语课上,我惊讶地发现杰西卡不像往常一样滔滔不绝地自说自话了。
She was silent as she walked by my side between classes, and I was afraid to ask her why.
在课间她走在我旁边都保持这沉默,我也害怕去问她为什么。
课间我们一起走的时候,她一直沉默着。我实在不敢问她为什么。
If Mike had turned her down, I was the last person she would want to tell.
如果Mike已经拒绝她了,我应该最后一个她想要告诉的人。
如果迈克拒绝了她的邀约,我一定是她最不想告诉的人。
My fears were strengthened during lunch when Jessica sat as far from Mike as possible, chatting animatedly with Eric.
我的担心增强了,在午饭的时候Jessica坐的尽可能的离Mike远,和Eric聊的精力旺盛。
午餐的时候,我更加担心起来,因为杰西卡坐得离迈克远远的,和埃里克聊得很起劲。
Mike was unusually quiet.
Mike不寻常的安静。
Mike was still quiet as he walked me to class, the uncomfortable look on his face a bad sign.
Mike陪我走去上课的时候也很安静,他脸上不舒服的表情是一个坏的信号。
迈克陪我向教室走去,一路上继续沉默着,他脸上不自在的表情是个坏兆头。
But he didn‘t broach the subject until I was in myseat and he was perched on my desk.
但是知道我和他坐在位置上之前他都没有提出过什么。
但他始终没有提出这个话题,直到我坐到座位上,他靠在我桌子上为止。
As always, I was electrically aware of Edward sitting close enough to touch, as distant as if he were merely an invention of my imagination.
一如既往,我触电般的意识到Edward坐的足够可以碰到我,就好像我的想象中虚构的一般。
和往常一样,我像被电了一下,意识到爱德华虽然坐得在触手可及的地方,却如此遥远,仿佛他只是我虚构出来的一个梦。
"So," Mike said, looking at the floor, "Jessica asked me to the spring dance."
“所以,”Mike看着地板说道,“Jessica邀请我去春天舞会。”
“那个,”迈克看着地板,说道。“杰西卡邀请我和她一起参加春季舞会。”
"That‘s great." I made my voice bright and enthusiastic. "You‘ll have a lot of fun with Jessica."
“那挺好的。”我让我的声音明亮而且有热情。“你和Jessica一定会玩的开心的。”
“好极了。”我让自己的声音显得明朗又热情。“你跟杰西卡一起会过得很愉快的。”
"Well…" He floundered as he examined my smile, clearly not happy with my response.
“嗯。。”他挣扎凝视我的笑容,明显对我的回复不高兴。
“嗯……”他审视着我的微笑,挣扎着,显然对我的反应很不高兴。“我告诉她我要想一下。”
"I told her I had to think about it."
“我告诉她我不得不考虑一下。”
"Why would you do that?"
“你为什么这么做?”
I let disapproval color my tone, though I was relieved he hadn‘t given her an absolute no.
我用着不赞成的语气说道,尽管我放心的是他没有给她一个完全的否定。
我让自己的语气带上一点失望的色彩,虽然我感到很宽慰,幸亏他没有一口回绝她。